The Chair of Information and Graphic Arts Technology is part of the Department of Textiles, Graphic Arts and Design, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology, University of Ljubljana. Our premises are located at Snežniška 5 in Ljubljana. Our professors, teaching assistants and technical staff are involved in a number of research and teaching activities. These include – but are not limited to – prepress, press and postpress operations, graphic materials, printed electronics, packaging, image processing, information-communication technologies, photography, 3D modelling, colorimetry, typography, graphic design and ecology.
Chair members are lecturers and assistants in the basic and optional courses that are part of the following Bologna study programmes:
- Graphic and Interactive Communications (undergraduate level; university study programme)
- Graphic and Media Technology (undergraduate level; higher education professional study programme)
- Graphic and Interactive Communications (postgraduate level; master’s study programme)
- Textile Engineering, Graphic Communication and Textile Design (doctoral study programme)
As part of our study courses, we – together with our students – organise various exhibitions, presentations and other events. We also perform research work and host national and international conferences and symposia.
Our activities that took place in 2014 are summarised in the Annual report of the Chair of Information and Graphic Arts Technology.
Facilities and Equipment
Pedagogical and research work takes place in several laboratories and rooms. In addition to the five computer labs and the photographic studio, we also have laboratories for colour management, printing, postpress, chemical experiments and interactive systems at our disposal. Our goal is to perform high-quality research work and education in the fields of graphic and interactive communications that will provide our students with fundamental theoretical and practical knowledge they will need when working in graphic arts, packaging and papermaking industry, design and advertising agencies, media, educational and research organisations.
Here are some important historical milestones of our chair:
- 1996: Start of Graphic Technics, the first higher educational professional study programme for the field of graphic technology in Slovenia
- 2000/2001: First study year with a postgraduate study of graphic technology
- 2002/2003: Enrolment of the first generation of students to the university programme Graphic Technology
- 2006/2007: Start of the Bologna declaration study programmes