Enrolment spaces in the programme, enrolment conditions and criteria for selection in case of limited enrolment
Candidates for the PhD studies (called ‘doktorski študij’) in Materials Science and Engineering are expected to meet one of the following criteria:
- Completed undergraduate second-cycle programme with Engineer Diploma;
- Completed uniform MSc study programme with a total of 300 ECTS,
- Completed former university undergraduate study programme,
- Completed former study Programme with MSc degree (60 ECTS can be recognised, final enrolment is approved by the Programme Council);
- Completed former Specialisation programme, provided that the candidate has previously completed an undergraduate higher professional programme, with additional obligations (bridging programme), with a total of 10 to 60 ECTS and pending the decision of the Programme Council;
- Completed studies at another domestic or foreign university according to the requirements that apply to students studying in Slovenia. The equivalence of previously obtained education abroad must be officially recognised according to the provisions of Art. 121 of the Statute of the University of Ljubljana.
Enrolment is limited to 40 students. Should there be more than 40 applicants, candidates will be selected according to the following methodology:
- average grade of previous studies (50%)
- scientific and/or research and specialist publications, rewards and important practical experience (40%)
- average grade for chosen course (10%)
Candidates with the highest number of points will be enrolled.
An additional condition for enrolment is also agreement of the supervisor. The supervisor is appointed at the time of enrolment. Besides that, the student will select courses in agreement with the supervisor according to the theme of his/her thesis and this also determines the field of studies, e.g. materials or metallurgy or mining and geotechnology.
The supervisor can be anyone fulfilling the supervisor requirements according to the regulations of University of Ljubljana. A supervisor candidate also has to have an adequate bibliography (3-5 publications from the field in journals from SCI) from the field of research in which the doctoral candidate is taking the course.
Recognition of knowledge and skills acquired prior to enrolment in the programme
Prior learning through formal, informal or experiential education will be recognised according to Paragraph 9 of the Rules for curricula accreditation in case of limited enrolment. The Programme Council makes decisions about recognition of knowledge and skills acquired through previous education of the candidate. For recognition of such knowledge and skills, the following will be taken into account:
- Professional specialisation
- Another diploma from a university institution
- Previous scientific research work
- Published scientific papers
- Professional training courses
- University Prešeren Award
- Certified professional training courses from the field of doctoral course