TEXTILE AND FASHION DESIGN
The degree and type of study: Post-graduate study programme-master’s degree programme
Duration: 2 years (4 semesters), total of 120 credits ECTS
Field of study according to ISCED classification: (21) Art
Classification of the study programme according to KLASIUS P: (2143) Textile and Fashion Design
Classification of the study programme according to KLASIUS SRV: (17003) Master’s degree education (second Bologna level)
Scientific research discipline according to Frascati classification: Engineering Sciences, Humanities
Date of accreditation: 6. 7. 2006
The textile and clothing industry arises from traditional handicraft skills, but in the last century it has developed a completely self-expressive system that is connected with art and other design practice and theory. A textile designer’s creative process typically starts with an idea; it is necessary first of all to visualise it and later or parallel to that to find appropriate technical procedures. The process of conceptualising and materialisation of ideas requires a lot of knowledge and experience in the field of artistic disciplines, sciences and knowledge of implementing technologies.
Based on experience with current undergraduate and graduate education in the field of textile and fashion design over the last 25 years of cooperation with foreign higher education institutions, particularly those involved in CUMULUS network, a new study concept was developed based on four parallel verticals: basic, which includes parallel studies in textile and fashion design, art expressive verticals, technology, which means supporting the implementation of design ideas, and support, which includes the necessary knowledge and skills development in the field of computer design and knowledge of the history of textile and apparel marketing and management. The Master’s Programme deepens and builds on all four verticals, whose foundations were built at the university level. Stronger international cooperation, intensity of study, professional liability and artistic creativity is intended.
- studies of theoretical and methodological concepts related to training, searching for new sources of knowledge through scientific research methods,
- developing critical reflection,
- the ability to experiment and various concepts,
- developing the ability for own learning in their professional and artistic field,
- social and communication skills to lead a team in the field of interdisciplinary action and research with the aim of enriching the basic discipline,
- the ability to respond quickly to new information and the ability to design products with new or improved properties,
- developed professional, ethical and environmental responsibility,
- the ability to use modern tools, skills and expertise, especially in the field of ICT technologies in their daily professional and artistic creative work.
- theoretical and practical knowledge of free-hand drawing and painting, drawing and painting techniques and drawing and painting expression with the support of various computer software; mastering form (anatomy of the human body and its aesthetically and dynamically changing and functional properties and specific characteristics); knowledge of the principles of linear perspective and other spatial and plastic parameters, along with key principles for achieving a high level of form-related sensibility; the capacity to use theoretical artistic laws in practice and in-depth functional knowledge of the artistic language in the creative processes of textile and fashion design;
- the ability to handle two- and three-dimensional design effectively in the area of textile and fashion design;
- knowledge in the area of tonal methods of expression and modulation, coloration and colour modulation;
- the use of information and communication technologies in the areas of drawing, painting and photography in solving concrete working problems with the use of scientific and artistic methods and procedures;
- understanding the connection between the development of clothing and the development of styles in art, sculpture, architecture and design;
- finding marketing niches on the basis of analytical investigation of the needs and satisfaction of consumers;
- the ability to conceive the entire graphic image of a brand identity for a fashion catalogue, advertisement or packaging of a fashion product;
- understanding the systematic methodology of design, from the concept of a project, analysis, definition of goals, synthesis, main project and its execution to the production of a prototype;
- knowledge of all types of composition of fabrics and knitwear as well as dyeing and enrichment of fabrics and knitwear, textile printing and textile care;
- the capacity to understand the role of marketing in creating a high added value of textile and clothing collections;
- understanding the importance of clothing anthropometry in the process of developing the cut of clothes; the ability of independent construction and modelling of selected women’s, men’s and children’s clothes;
- learning about the modern industrial complex in the process of manufacturing of prototypes and ready-made clothing products.
With their acquired knowledge, masters in Textile and Fashion Design can be employed in textile and clothing companies in the field of the production and marketing of textiles and clothing and textiles with improved properties, in research institutions engaged in textile and clothing activities, in consultation agencies, in trade and in government administration. They can become independent artists (self-employed in cultural activities); they can also start their own companies or work in larger design studios.